Teaching Models

I found a lot of value in watching the teachers in their classrooms trying to figure out what type of teaching model they are implementing. I have never thought about teaching models. Honestly, I just felt like teachers did whatever they felt like doing. When looking at the teaching models they're implementing, you can learn a lot. For example, you can see what important point they're trying to focus on (like the teaching drilling the letters sounds vs. the teacher having students make connections with books). One could also evaluate their own teaching style and think to themselves, "Am I focusing on what's important?"



3 comments:

Danielle Dias said...

Being a reflective teacher is such an important trait to have. Otherwise, teachers would do the same things over and over without ever truly understanding if those things were effective or not. I don't think this trait comes naturally, however. It takes a strong teacher to look at their teaching practices and say 'ok, I screwed this up big time!'

Linda Coggin said...

You and Danielle have opened an important discussion. Asking yourself these demanding questions as you posed "Am I focusing on what's important?" and even what IS important or not takes a teacher willing to look critically at his/her own practice.

Kim said...

I think many people, including teachers, have trouble admitting they are wrong. When I was teaching people how to Drive fork lifts one of the first words I learned in Spanish was lo siento (probably spelled wrong Kylaina feel free to correct me) which means I'm sorry. When I told this to my dad I was enraged when he told me that as a trainer I shouldn't be saying that often because appology is a sign of weakness. I feel that younger generations are getting past this ethnocentric mentality and are begining to acknowledge and repair their own faults. We need to continue to teach our students to be reflective because this is a trait that is important in every aspect of life!

Post a Comment