Reading Strategies

It seems like all I do for classes anymore is read, read, and read. The information from all of these different resources that I am required to read all blurs into one giant mess in my head. We have learned during this course different strategies that help me remember what I have read. I especially enjoyed the Question, Surprise, Observation, and Argument strategy that we did on Tuesday. I have really appreciated learning these strategies for my own personal use and because they are useful strategies to forward to my future students. I know specifically with English-language learners they will have a hard time remembering all that they have read, so teaching them these comprehension strategies will really make them take away the important points from what they are reading.

4 comments:

Taylor said...

I agree with you that the strategies we have been using in class to remember what we read are helpful to us both as students and teachers. I think these would be great to teach our students, especially the ELLs. I also find the strategies helpful because they give us a purpose for reading. In E340 last semester, we were told to never assign reading without giving our students a purpose for reading so they know what we want them to get out of the reading (so they don't have to try to remember the whole reading). These strategies are good ways to give a purpose to students.

Linda Coggin said...

Great! How important to experience a strategy than to just read about it!

Kylaina said...

I agree, Taylor. When I read text for class and there is no set, concrete purpose behind it - I GO CRAZY!

pranuthi said...

I agree with you all. These strategies have been really useful in organizing my reading and focusing on the what I need to take away from my readings. Also, these are things that I will use in my classroom.
One thing I would like to see is that when we have abundant reading like the one we had for this week, I personally would like to know which one of those we need to focus more on. The first two chapters I felt had the basic, so I would have like to know to just skim through them, but the other three chapters were more in detail. So, I would have like to know that I needed to pay more attention to that. This is just to organize my time.
For students who read really slowly, maybe if they did not have enough time to read all of it, they then knew to pay more attention to chapters 3,4,and 5, just so that they did not feel left out in class.

Post a Comment