I believe it was our instructor that said "good teaching is messy" last class. I just wanted to title my blog post that because I agree with the statement. There is no such thing as a set way of teaching that works for every learner. As teachers, we'll have to adjust and be flexible to reach all learners and provide them with the instruction that works best for them.
I enjoyed the opportunity to hear someone else's Language Research Project audio while reading their transcript because it really showed us the benefits of transcribing audio. I'm looking at this through the perspective of an ESL teacher. In the future, let's say I have a class of 20 students and half of them are English-language learners, there is going to be a lot to keep up with. I'm not going to be able to listen to every single discussion my learners will have with one another. So, I could set up recorders and listen to them later. I could transcribe the audio and learn a lot about my students. If I would have actually been present during the audio recording of the three children in class - sure I would have caught some of what they had been saying - but looking at what they said with the transcription and the audio really made me hear every single thing each child had to say. I believe doing this in my own classroom will give me a more in-depth perspective of my students.

2 comments:
I agree that recording and transcribing students' language use (being a teacher researcher) would be so helpful to us as teachers. I agree that doing this will give teachers a more in-depth perspective on their students and I also plan to do this in my future classroom. How can we truly teach our students what they need to know if we have not collected and analyzed data about what they know?
Your post helps me think about how important it is to really listen to students in a multiple of ways.
Post a Comment