First Class

Hello everyone and welcome to my Blog! I am really excited to be in my first class that integrates ESL and Reading Dual License students.


The number one thing that interested me during the first class was thinking about starting a book collection. I probably own 2 children's books so far. We should have 300 before our first teaching year!! When reading the Allington article, the importance of selecting appropriate texts for students was highlighted. We will need to get to know our students so that we can use our own personal library of books to match them with appropriately leveled books. I guess it is time to start collecting!

6 comments:

Linda Coggin said...

Goodwill and garage sales are great places to begin!! Your ESL perspective will be an important addition to our class.

pchendira said...

I was in the same shoe as you are now! Just like Linda suggested, I started collecting books from garage sales and Salvation Army. They are wonderful places to look for children's books at very reasonable prizes. I just cannot keep my hands off those book now:)

Kim said...

I am lucky enough to have most of my books from when I was a kid and I have bought tons for my daughter over the years but I haven't bought books just for a classroom library yet. I think I may end up buying books to meet the specific needs of my students at first because I doubt I will ever be fully prepared for all levels and all interests.

Kylaina said...

Thanks for your feedback :)

cltam said...

I LOVE your blog design!

cltam said...

Kylaina, I went to Goodwill Saturday and in five minutes found four books. I think they were 69 cents a piece. I can't wait to have more time to go back and look through the rest of them!

Post a Comment